Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Frost's Apocalypse


When we were reading Robert Frost’s poem “Fire and Ice” in class, I couldn’t help but think of the apocalypse and how popular it is becoming. In one of my other classes, a class on Ecocriticism, we just got done discussing the apocalypse, which is probably another reason I could not stop thinking about these sorts of images while reading this poem… 

World ending in fire



World ending in ice




However, I’m not positive that this is what Frost is talking about. The thought brought up in class about this poem being about human emotions, rather than about the actual literal end of the world is more appealing to me. I also think that Frost is talking about one’s own personal world rather than the world as a whole. When frost discusses the world ending in fire, he equates it with desire. Desire is an all-consuming passion of wanting something to happen. Greed is one form of desire. I can definitely see one’s own personal world ending when their greed overcomes them. When Frost talks about ice he equates it to hate. When I think about hate, I think about anger. When one is angry at someone they would do anything to hurt that person, including trying to destroy them. While I like to think of the poem as one’s individual world ending, it could be turned to be discussing the world as a whole. Greed spreads like wildfire. There is not enough wealth to fulfill everyone’s greed though so the world would come to an end at the hands of greed. Hate on the other hand takes ahold deep down inside of own person and spreads slowly, freezing the hearts of the multitudes. Eventually these frozen hearts will lead to destruction, much like the Nazi reign in Germany did. I found this poem to be very interesting and enjoy the many ways in which it can be interpreted. 

3 comments:

  1. I think that the poem works on both levels. If someone gives them self over to greed or hate, it can destroy them from the inside out. Their world/life is then over. If greed and hate spread through people and they allow it to run rampant, then that could mean the end of the world in general. It starts on a personal level, but no person exists in a vacuum, so in one way or another their actions have a ripple effect on their surroundings. If their actions convey greed and/or hate, that is what will spread, and ultimately lead to the world's downfall. It's a dark subject, but I think that the poem serves as a good cautionary tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd agree with Talon and with you, Stefanie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures you posted Stefanie. I hadn't visualized it like before! What I thought was crazy was how popular such a short poem was, whenever heard about his poem I imagined a lengthy several page poem when in fact it was just a few lines.

    I particularly enjoyed this poem after having read Dante's Inferno, so that I could appreciate why fire came before ice in punishment.

    ReplyDelete